TNI Bureau: There is a great relief for the beneficiaries in the MGNREGS, as they won’t have to wait for months or run from pillar to the post to get their dues. They will now get their payment into their bank accounts within 24 hours. The Odisha government has unveiled the E-FMS (Electronic Fund Management System) across the state on November 15.
Odisha became the first state in the country to implement this central scheme. There is a drawback in the new facility. The postal account holders cannot avail the E-FMS option. Only the bank account holders will be benefited from this.
Currently, 57% of the MGNREGS job cards holders, have bank accounts. The remaining 43% people have accounts at post offices. The E-FMS facility was first launched in Ganjam’s Seragarh block in 2010-11. In June 2012, it was implemented in Ganjam, Gajapati and Mayurbhanj districts along with one block each from all districts. From November 15, 2012, all people in Odisha can avail this opportunity.